[openssl-users] Custom Random number generation while in Fips mode

pratyush parimal pratyush.parimal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 00:18:21 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I work on a consumer application which is striving to be fips-140-2
compliant.

I'm using OpenSSL as recommended in the fips guide by invoking
fips_mode_set(). However, in certain parts of the same application, I'm
using my own non-OpenSSL random number generator to generate salts for
hashing passwords for the app user accounts(I'm not using RAND_bytes).

Does anyone know if using my custom random number generator in this way
violates the app's fips compliance? Am I really supposed to be using
RAND_bytes for compliance reasons?

Thanks in advance!
Pratyush.