[openssl-users] Custom Random number generation while in Fips mode

Thomas Francis, Jr. thomas.francis.jr at pobox.com
Thu Jul 28 15:50:53 UTC 2016

> On Jul 28, 2016, at 11:00 AM, pratyush parimal <pratyush.parimal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for your response! It clears up matters a lot :)
>
> There's one thing that I thought of though -- even though I'm generating the salt via non-OpenSSL means, the actual function that I'm using for hashing is "SHA512" from FIPS OpenSSL.
> Does the mere usage of salt that was generated via a non-FIPS-recommended approach violate my compliance ?

You used what is typically considered a cryptographic function (some form of RNG) from a source other than your cryptographic module running in approved mode.  Unless you can fully justify that use as for non-cryptographic purposes, your product is not complying with FIPS 140.  Given that it’s a salt for hashing passwords, I think you’ll have a really hard time convincing customers and auditors that the salt generation is for non-cryptographic purposes.  After all, if that’s not cryptographic, why didn’t you use something more deterministic (like a counter, or a user name) for the salt?

> I understand what you mean by "I'm not an auditor or a lawyer" , but I'd still appreciate your opinion / experience in the matter :)

In my limited experience, auditors are not computer security experts.  They’re smart people, but they tend to fall back on very simple guidelines when it comes to things outside their own expertise (like what’s a cryptographic algorithm, and what’s a cryptographic purpose).  You might be able to get away with it, but I wouldn’t want to stake a sale on it.  Especially not if there are penalties attached for failing an audit.

TOM