[openssl-users] CA chain.

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Fri Jul 29 08:16:35 UTC 2016

On 29/07/2016 06:13, asmarner at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to SSL stuff.
>
> I was wondering whether the CA chain of a certificate can be changed.
>
> Let say the initial chain is
>
> Server->Intermediate CA1->Intermediate CA2->Root CA
>
> and during renewal we have Server->Root CA

Renewal creates a brand new key with a brand new certificate,
which can (and often does) have an entirely new chain.For
example:

Server cert 2014->Big Name Intermediate G2014->Big Name Root CA R2010
Server cert 2016->Big Name Intermediate G2016->Big Name Root CA R2015

Also, it is possible to have more than one chain leading
to the same server cert, with the possibility to
reconfigure the server to send a different one of those
chains:

Server cert->Intermediate CA1->Intermediate CA2->Root CA1
Server cert->Intermediate CA1->Root CA2

Enjoy

Jakob