[openssl-users] CMS: Encrypt with binary encoding

Thomas Francis, Jr. thomas.francis.jr at pobox.com
Wed Jun 22 18:07:56 UTC 2016

> On Jun 22, 2016, at 11:40 AM, c.holper at ades.at wrote:
>
> Yes, but then there is no MIME-Header.
> Can I have MIME with binary encoding??

Not really.  If you’re using raw binary output, the output wouldn’t be a MIME body (or body-part), so a MIME header would be inappropriate.  MIME requires output to be 7-bit clean (i.e., the high bit of every byte is 0), with some special exceptions.  Base64 is usually the preferred encoding, although many other encodings (e.g. uuencode) are allowed.  Raw binary output would not be allowed (unless you could guarantee it meets the exceptional cases, which you can’t for something like this).  You could always prepend a MIME header, but that wouldn’t make your output a MIME body.

TOM