[openssl-users] openssl shared libs

Mirko Fit mirko.fit at onespin.com
Thu Jun 23 07:59:42 UTC 2016

Here's my scenario in detail:

We have 3 parties:
(V) Vendor of intellectual property
(U) User of intellectual property (may not see the IP, but use it with
some tools and see the output)
(T) Tool provider (may decipher the IP and use it, but not show it to (U))

According to IEEE-1735 we do the following:
The (V) creates a session key and encrypts it's intellectual property
using AES-256.
Then he encrypts the session key using RSA-4096 and the public key of (T).
So (T) should be able to decipher the session key and thus the IP.
Now (T) burns his private key into his tool to his customer (U) to use
all IP that some vendor (V) encrypted for the use with (T)'s tools.

The critical scenario is the following:
Assume (U) is the bad guy, who is interested in the intellectual property.
He could replace the openssl shared libs to intercept the call to

|AES_set_encrypt_key(..)|

and steal the session key.
With this key he and everyone he shares the key with can decipher the IP
of (V).

Now my company is (T) and we don't want to leak (V)'s session key.
You may assume that our binary is protected state of the art agains
debugger attacks and stuff.
So the only question is if the shared openssl library makes the tool
more vulnerable?

Thanks in advance,
Mirko