[openssl-users] Getting error 'SSLv2_client_method': identifier not found

Tony Girgenti tony at lakesideos.com
Mon Jun 27 19:08:38 UTC 2016

Hello,

I migrated a Visual Studio 6.0 C++ program to Visual Studio 2015 C++.  The
program uses OpenSSL.  I have downloaded and installed OpenSSL-Win32 version
1.0.2g.

I'm trying to figure what I need to do to fix the error I am getting on this
line: m_pSSLctx = SSL_CTX_new(SSLv2_client_method());

The statement is part of this method:

I see that there are conditional compilation statements in "ssl.h" that look
like this:

# if (defined(OPENSSL_NO_RSA) || defined(OPENSSL_NO_MD5)) &&
!defined(OPENSSL_NO_SSL2)

#  define OPENSSL_NO_SSL2

# endif

And this:

# ifndef OPENSSL_NO_SSL2

const SSL_METHOD *SSLv2_method(void); /* SSLv2 */

const SSL_METHOD *SSLv2_server_method(void); /* SSLv2 */

const SSL_METHOD *SSLv2_client_method(void); /* SSLv2 */

# endif

With my limited knowledge of C++, I think I understand that
"SSLv2_client_method" is created if "OPENSSL_NO_SSL2" is not defined in the
program.

In my case, I think it is defining "OPENSSL_NO_SSL2" and that is why my
program can't find the identifier "SSLv2_client_method".

I need help in trying to figure out if I need to add something to my program
that will get rid of this error.

The VS 6.0 version of this program works fine.  I have both the executable
part of it and the source code.

Any help that anyone can provide to make this work would be gratefully
appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony