[openssl-users] Something causing "Error 12"/Expired CRL during CRL processing

o haya ohaya at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 00:09:43 UTC 2016

I'm not sure about the answer to your last question, but I will check tomorrow.

I do know that the set of CAs is configured by us, and then they have either an app or script that gets run to re-download each of the CRLs intermittently.

What I don't know is whether they restart/reload the Apache, but I'm guessing that that they do do that.  I'll confirm tomorrow.

Based on what you said, and assuming we use individual files per CRL and with the hashes, and assuming that we just happen to have more than one CRL file that resulted in the same hash string, would that account for an Error 12/Expired CRL error?

I guess the thing that still bothers me is that they've been using this scheme/approach for awhile with the earlier Apache and with openssl 0.9.8 until this upgrade attempt recently, and it's hard to believe that they'd all of sudden be encountering hash collisions and just at the time of upgrading the Apache 2.4.16 and openssl 1.0.1e?  Talk about bad luck :)!!

I will post back tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jim