[openssl-users] SSL_accept returning error

Sahib Jakhar sahib.jakhar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:51:01 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am getting the following error while doing SSL_accept on the server
side. It comes once in many tries. The error seems to come only on
windows, Linux and other platforms seem to do well.

The error is:

.\ssl\s3_pkt.c:1146 error:140943F2:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3
alert unexpected message

I just checked the code from s3_pkt.c, which is as follows:

        } else if (alert_level == 2) { /* fatal */
            char tmp[16];

            s->rwstate = SSL_NOTHING;
            s->s3->fatal_alert = alert_descr;
            SSLerr(SSL_F_SSL3_READ_BYTES, SSL_AD_REASON_OFFSET +
alert_descr);                                     // line 1146
            BIO_snprintf(tmp, sizeof tmp, "%d", alert_descr);
            ERR_add_error_data(2, "SSL alert number ", tmp);
            s->shutdown |= SSL_RECEIVED_SHUTDOWN;
            SSL_CTX_remove_session(s->ctx, s->session);
            return (0);
        } else {

Can somebody help me understand what could be the problem? It is more
baffling since it seems only to happen in customer environment only.

Thanks,
SJ