[openssl-users] 'makedepend' in openssl builds: clarify need and correct usage

lists lists at rustichelli.net
Mon Mar 14 15:24:10 UTC 2016

On 03/10/2016 03:52 PM, PGNet Dev wrote:
> I'm building openssl 1.0.2g on linux64.
>
> After
>
>     ./configure ...

Did you mean "./config ..."?

> I'm prompted
>
>     Since you've disabled or enabled at least one algorithm, you need
> to do
>     the following before building:
>
>         make depend
>
> Exec'ing the 'make depend' stage returns lots of warnings,
>
>     make depend
>         making depend in crypto...
>         make[1]: Entering directory
> '/usr/local/src/openssl/openssl-1.0.2g/crypto'
>         makedepend: warning:  cryptlib.c (reading
> /usr/include/stdlib.h, line 32): cannot find include file "stddef.h"
>                 not in ./stddef.h
>   [...]
>
> On the distro, stddef.h is available at
>
>     /usr/include/linux/stddef.h
>     /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/include/stddef.h
>     /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/5/include/stddef.h
>

> Reading wiki & reports at openssl, there's confusing, if not
> conflicting, advice.
>
> Must use it,
>
>     (1) https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Compilation_and_Installation
>         Dependencies
>
>         If you are prompted to run make depend, then you must do so.
> Its not just for developers who are updating sources. Its required to
> update the standard distribution once configuration options change.

In your specific case, it seems that you have disabled a protocol or
cipher or whatever, in other words you have changed the default options.
I guess the "..." in your command means just that you are omitting some
options.
So in such case you need "make depend". What is said in point (1) is
correct.
For instance, if you compile some not-latest OpenSSL with -nossl2 (this
is the current hype), compilation will fail unless you issue "make depend".
Sorry but I don't exactly understand how you are quoting the rest, so I
cannot see exactly what is that you find confusing.