[openssl-users] Questions about OCB and Wrap modes

Michel michel.sales at free.fr
Tue Mar 15 11:12:57 UTC 2016

Hi,

As there was some discussion about AEAD, I am still curious to know why OCB
mode isn't flagged as one of them :

assert( EVP_CIPHER_flags( EVP_aes_128_ocb() ) & EVP_CIPH_FLAG_AEAD_CIPHER );
failed ?

Can someone please explain this to me ?

And by the way, I would also be happy to understand why the wrap modes have
to be 'allowed'.

I  am asking because at the moment, I am doing something like :

if( EVP_CIPHER_mode( pCipher ) == EVP_CIPH_WRAP_MODE )
EVP_CIPHER_CTX_set_flags( pCtx, EVP_CIPHER_CTX_FLAG_WRAP_ALLOW);

But I suspect it might not be the best strategy, because if it was so easy,
it could have been done automatically /transparently no ?

Regards,

Michel