[openssl-users] [openssl-dev] Low level API call to digest SHA1 forbidden in FIPS mode - within openssl code

Glen Matthews glenm at opentext.com
Thu Mar 24 17:55:24 UTC 2016

Hi

Yes it's a standard build. FIPS 2.0 with openssl 1.0.2g - I took a dump when the dialog box was displayed, and that's how I got the call stack.

    if (x->ex_flags & EXFLAG_SET)
        return;
#ifndef OPENSSL_NO_SHA
    X509_digest(x, EVP_sha1(), x->sha1_hash, NULL);
#endif

I inspected the values in x509v3_cache_extensions() - the code above is from the beginning of it - and the test fails, so we drop down into the digest call.

glen