[openssl-users] Changing IV in EVP API?

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Mon May 2 17:38:27 UTC 2016

While trying to convert some 3rd party code from direct calls
to libcrypto functions to using the EVP API, I have run into
a problem.

I cannot find the EVP call to change the IV without changing
(and reexpanding) the key.

If the code should stay in the old (non-EVP) API, I similarly
lack a way to call the CPU optimized AES functions (AESNI,
HWAES, BSAES, VPAES) in the shared libcrypto.so .

Seems there is no way to win?

But I thought TLS 1.2 still needed the ability to efficiently
change IV mid-stream?

P.S.

This is not GCM with its strange TLS specific IV formulas.

Enjoy

Jakob