[openssl-users] good riddance to PayPal

Steve Marquess marquess at openssl.com
Fri May 6 12:06:48 UTC 2016

On 05/06/2016 07:45 AM, Salz, Rich wrote:
>> Consider having the non-U.S. person do the account setup too.
>>
>> Banks are as scared of US jurisdiction as crypto engineers.
>
> Yeah, we've done that.  Even to the point where one of the team was going to get on a plane to fly to the Isle of Mann.
>
> It's amazingly painful and difficult and so far not productive.

FATCA means that no "U.S. person" can have any access to the bank
account; we are well and painfully aware of that, and it's not a
problem. Only three of us fall in that category anyway; OpenSSL is not a
U.S. centric organization. Our U.S. connections are only due to the
circumstantial fact that the OpenSSL team member (me) who initially set
up our banking arrangements happened to be American.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
OpenSSL Validation Services, Inc.