[openssl-users] Looking for the Changelog in openssl-fips-2.0.12

Steve Marquess marquess at openssl.com
Tue May 24 13:15:10 UTC 2016

On 05/24/2016 07:56 AM, Philip Bellino wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for the Changelog that explains the changes between
> openssl-fips-2.0.9 and 2.0.12.
>

> The README.FIPS that comes with 2.0.12 points here:
> https://www.openssl.org/docs/fips  but I cannot find the changes.
>

> Any help would be most appreciated.

Look at the Security Policy document, "Modification History":

  http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cmvp/documents/140-1/140sp/140sp2398.pdf

Since in general we aren't allowed to add new functionality or even to
fix security vulnerabilities for validated modules, the only reason to
use a newer module revision (2.0.12) instead of an older one (2.0.9) is
that the older one lacks support for your specific platform(s) of
interest; there is no advantage in updating already fielded modules like
you would for OpenSSL proper or other more conventionally maintained
software.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess