[openssl-users] OpenSSL non-blocking epoll hanging on data receiving

counterpoint martin at black-sheep-research.com
Fri May 27 12:23:04 UTC 2016

Thanks for the comments, Matt.

> read_ahead and SSL_pending() do not play nicely together unfortunately.
> See the master (1.1.0) version of the SSL_pending() documentation which
> discusses this issue and introduced the new function SSL_has_pending()
> which addresses it:

> https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/ssl/SSL_pending.html

I looked at SSL_has_pending, but can't easily use it as the software needs
to build on standard distributions, as far as possible, and it isn't in e.g.
CentOS 6.5

> So it sounds like this is during reading of application data? Has
> SSL_accept() returned successfully, and you are now wanting to call
> SSL_read()?

It's getting a lot further than that. The SSL_accept returns success, and a
whole series of SSL_read and SSL_write calls look to be operating fine. It
appears that most of the 500KB of data used in the test is transferred, but
(probably near the end) the process hangs. Presumably SSL_pending is
returning 0 and there are no further EPOLLIN events.  Or something like
that.

I expected that turning off read ahead would fix both server and client, but
it seems not. I've read all the configuration options I can find, but so far
haven't found a solution to the server side application.