[openssl-users] ERR_error_string_n(unsigned long e, char *buf, size_t len)

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Tue May 31 18:39:41 UTC 2016

On 31/05/2016 19:41, Udit Raikwar wrote:
> Hello,
> I am working on one project and i need to print the error description
> associated with the error number. I am using function
> ERR_error_string_n(unsigned long e, char *buf, size_t len);
>
> I know error code(e) is an 8 digit hexadecimal number,
> can i get the error description using 'strerror(int errno)' function ?
> Thanks
No.

strerror() only knows about the C runtime library errors
that are reported in errno.  It doesn't know the text for
(or other meaning of) errors in other libraries such as
OpenSSL or Zlib.

That is why most such libraries (including OpenSSL) have
their own error string functions that know the library
specific error codes.

Enjoy

Jakob