[openssl-users] mailing list registration renewal - clarify bounce errors

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Tue Nov 8 07:37:22 UTC 2016

In message <CADqLbz+3z=ENw9rdJ-3ivd-xa-05-DJ7RGvV4zEUFNq8BxYK2g at mail.gmail.com> on Mon, 7 Nov 2016 21:50:13 +0300, Dmitry Belyavsky <beldmit at gmail.com> said:

beldmit> Hello Rich,
beldmit>
beldmit> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 8:34 PM, Salz, Rich <rsalz at akamai.com> wrote:
beldmit>
beldmit>     > I can find no evidence of "excessive bounces .." so I am just
beldmit>     asking here, is
beldmit>     > this a standard clean up of the ML or have you really received
beldmit>     excessive
beldmit>     > bounces from my email address ?
beldmit>
beldmit>     The latter.
beldmit>
beldmit>     We have seen some more reports of this recently, and are
beldmit>     increasing the logging to determine the cause. Interestingly, it's
beldmit>     all from gmail.com addresses.
beldmit>
beldmit>
beldmit> I confirm the receiving the similar message.

The issue is called DMARC, and most certainly with a reject policy,
which basically tells recipients to reject messages that doesn't quite
appear to come from the originator.

This is problematic for mailing lists, that kind of act as a middle
man, and even moreso because rejections end up as bounces to the
mailing list software, which will end up disabling the bouncing
address.  So in the end, it becomes a story of how users from one
domain are capable of throw out everyone else that checks their DMARC
policy.

Last time we went through this, we ignored the problem, for reasons I
cannot remember now.  I'll have a closer look at what mailman can
offer and get back to you.

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org