[openssl-users] OpenSSL 1.1 on solaris x86 32 bit

Norm Green norm.green at gemtalksystems.com
Sun Nov 27 01:02:30 UTC 2016

The CHANGES file for 1.1 contains this note regarding this platform:

   *) solaris-x86-cc, i.e. 32-bit configuration with vendor compiler,
      had to be removed. Primary reason is that vendor assembler can't
      assemble our modules with -KPIC flag. As result it, assembly
      support, was not even available as option. But its lack means
      lack of side-channel resistant code, which is incompatible with
      security by todays standards. Fortunately gcc is readily available
      prepackaged option, which we firmly point at...
      [Andy Polyakov]

Can someone please publish some more details about what Solaris and/or
compiler versions showed problems?

Also were tests failing or were compiles/links failing?

I've tested this configuration with 1.1.0c using an older vendor
compiler version and everything seems to work just fine using the -KPIC
flag.  I don't see anywhere in the build log where the assembler is
being invoked directly.

My compiler is:

cc: Sun C 5.10 SunOS_i386 Patch 142363-05 2010/04/28
usage: cc [ options] files.  Use 'cc -flags' for details

thanks,

Norm Green