[openssl-users] Return type of SSL_ctrl

Ludwig, Mark ludwig.mark at siemens.com
Wed Nov 30 13:26:33 UTC 2016

Greetings,

We're moving up to OpenSSL 1.0.2j from OpenSSL 0.9.8<something>, and noticed that the SSL
functions based on SSL_ctrl() changed from returning type int to returning type long.

It's not clear why this is necessary, by spot-checking the documented numerical domain of the
return values of the SSL functions (macros) deriving from SSL_ctrl().  Why was this done?

(I don't see mention of this in the CHANGES file.)

Thanks,

Mark Ludwig

Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.
Communications and Government Affairs
Product Lifecycle Management
Lifecycle Coll
5939 Rice Creek Parkway