[openssl-users] Possible to control session reuse from the client?

Viktor Dukhovni openssl-users at dukhovni.org
Sat Oct 1 16:17:36 UTC 2016

On Sat, Oct 01, 2016 at 04:05:32PM +0000, Daniel Janzon wrote:

> Hm... Thanks, but I think I miss some piece of the puzzle. How does client
> and server side session differ and how do they interact? I thought the TLS
> session was always cached on the server side and all the client would have
> to do was to send its session ID.

Well, the client needs a lot more than just an "id".  It needs to
retain the session master key, protocol version, ... so that if
the server agrees to resume the session the client can do so.

With session tickets, all the storage is the client side, the client
stores the server's session too, encrypted under a key that only
the server knows.  The client sends along the server's session
back to the server in the sessiont ticket extension (RFC 5077).

Client session caching is off by default, and in any case there's
no automatic resumption.  The client must call SSL_set_sesion() to
trigger resumption.

--
	Viktor.