[openssl-users] Programmatically determine latest versions

David Turner David.Turner at tracsis.com
Fri Oct 14 15:48:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

Is there a straightforward way to programmatically determine the current set of latest released versions of OpenSSL?

The context is that we perform automatic security audits of some of our systems and one of the tickboxes is "uses the latest version of OpenSSL". At the moment we check the website (and some mirrors) and do a bit of munging of HTML to try and extract the latest version number, but this is not terribly pleasant. It would be awesome if there were a JSON document (or similar) that contained roughly the same information as the HTML table at https://www.openssl.org/source/. Is there such a document? For instance, is the list of tags in Github appropriately reliable?

If not, could such a document be created?

Many thanks,

--
David Turner
Principal Developer

Tracsis Operations and Planning Systems Division is a Division of Tracsis plc and comprises Tracsis plc (05019106), Tracsis Rail Consultancy Limited 05047148), Safety Information Systems Limited trading as COMPASS (02588404) and Datasys Limited (04225250), all subsidiaries of Tracsis plc with a registered office at Leeds Innovation Centre,103 Clarendon Road, Leeds, LS2 9DF. VAT Registration No: 945 7876 61.