[openssl-users] Architecture-specific headers

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Oct 18 12:21:29 UTC 2016

opensslconf.h is generated from the configuration settings and platform characteristics, and applications must be compiled using the opensslconf.h that corresponds to the build they link to (or one that's equivalent).

Sometimes you can get away with using the wrong opensslconf.h, but this can cause hard-to-find errors. One project I know of went for several years using the wrong opensslconf.h, and it was only discovered when a different project used some other OpenSSL features and got incorrect results on some platforms.

So, in short: You do in fact have to publish and maintain one architecture-specific header.

Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus