[openssl-users] DTLS fragmentation and mem BIO

Lorenzo Miniero lminiero at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:22:25 UTC 2016

> On 06/09/16 14:55, Lorenzo Miniero wrote:
> > Apologies for reviving this old thread, but a user of my project made me
> > notice that my code doesn't compile on Openssl 1.1.0 anymore. Apparently
> > the cause is some structures have been made opaque in the new version.
> > In my case, the structure that breaks the code is BIO, as I used some of
> > its previously public properties in my filter. Is there any transition
> > documentation page that can help figuring out how I can adapt it
> > accordingly? Or is the way my filter was written at the time hopelessly
> > broken now, and a different approach to do the same needed?
>
> Probably there is a "getter" function to get at what you need. What
> properties are they?
>
> The BIO_METHOD structure is also now opaque and needs to be setup via
> the BIO_meth_*() functions. See:
>
> https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/crypto/BIO_meth_new.html

Thanks for the quick answer!

Adapting the BIO_METHOD stuff looks easy enough indeed, thanks for the
pointers. The problem is that, in my BIO_METHOD callbacks, I access some of
the BIO properties for the logic to implement. For instance, in the *create
callback I set, among others, my own helper struct pointer in the ->ptr
property of the involved BIO, so that I can always access it when using the
BIO itself; or, in the *write callback, I access the ->next_bio property.

I'll check if/how I can set/get them on the BIO using dedicated methods
instead of accessing properties directly.

Thanks!
Lorenzo