[openssl-users] [openssl-dev] dates, times, durations in next release (commands)

Richard Levitte levitte at openssl.org
Tue Sep 6 17:39:33 UTC 2016

In message <490f88be6dcf4d5c9baa3f3b5e4c4e83 at usma1ex-dag1mb1.msg.corp.akamai.com> on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 17:11:01 +0000, "Salz, Rich" <rsalz at akamai.com> said:

rsalz> I am thinking of standardizing the syntax for dates, times, and
rsalz> durations used by the applications in the next releases, based on
rsalz> http://www.w3schools.com/xml/schema_dtypes_date.asp (with the
rsalz> extension that lowercase letters can also be used).
rsalz>
rsalz> Objects that need dates (x509 etc) will have a standard –start flag.
rsalz> It takes an ISO date-time, the time defaulting to 00:00. A time and
rsalz> duration can be specified by putting /duration after the start date.
rsalz> Or the abosolute time can be specified with an –end flag. For example
rsalz>
rsalz> -start 2017-02-10/p30d
rsalz>
rsalz> -start 2017-02-10 –end 2017-03-12
rsalz>
rsalz> Both mean the same thing, from Feb 10 for 30 days.
rsalz>
rsalz> Comments?

It's not a huge step to support full blown ISO 8601 (which has a few
more alternatives to specify time intervals *).  I like the idea.

Cheers,
Richard

(*) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Richard Levitte         levitte at openssl.org