[openssl-users] Using RSA_PKCS1_OAEP_PADDING with high level EVP_Seal functions

Daniel Knoppel daniel at phusion.nl
Fri Sep 9 10:55:21 UTC 2016

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I'm not sure I understand what
you're saying.

If EVP_Seal* is an old function, is there a new function with which we
can accomplish the same functionality?

What I mean is that the EVP_PKEY_encrypt() looks functionally the same
as RSA_public_encrypt() (just encrypting using a public key), so it
doesn't help with encrypting bulk data like the EVP_Seal*() functions.

For instance, with EVP_PKEY_encrypt users still have to deal with
symmetric key and iv generation, something that EVP_Seal*() does for you
(i.e. so you can't get it wrong).

The official documentation[1] even hints that you should be using
EVP_Seal*():
"For encryption and decryption see EVP_PKEY_encrypt and EVP_PKEY_decrypt
respectively. However, note that these functions perform encryption and
decryption only. As public key encryption is an expensive operation,
normally you would wrap an encrypted message in a "digital envelope"
using the EVP_SealInit and EVP_OpenInit functions."

Best regards,

Daniel
[1] https://www.openssl.org/docs/manmaster/crypto/evp.html