[openssl-users] SSL_read, SSL_write error handling

Alex Hultman alexhultman at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 03:07:22 UTC 2016

If SSL_write returns the error SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ, am I then allowed to
call SSL_read before I have called SSL_write?

What I'm trying to figure out is, can I handle SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ with one
or many calls to SSL_read, and can I handle SSL_ERROR_WANT_WRITE with one
or many calls to SSL_write - despite the fact that the error was thrown by
the opposite SSL_* function call?

Does an SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ have to be handled by the SSL_* function that
caused the error, or will any of the two (SSL_read, SSL_write) functions
handle this desire?