[openssl-users] Building OpenSSL Library on ARM Cortex M4 based STM32F4 controller in an RTOS environment

Jinu Jayachandran jinujayachandran at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 04:22:07 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am looking at the feasibility of developing an embedded Bluetooth
application with OpenSSL-FIPS support on STM32F407 microcontroller(which is
ARM Cortex M4 based). The application doesn't run on generic OS like Linux,
Windows or android but it runs on CMSIS-RTX RTOS. I am using Keil in
Windows as the developing environment with the built in armc compiler
(armcc) for compilation.

During my analysis I found the OpenSSL wiki which explains how to build and
install OpenSSL library: Compilation and Installation
<https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Compilation_and_Installation>.

In the page although there is a section for compilation for ARM platform,
there is no description on how to do it.

I have also gone through the following link on compiling with ARM

How To Build OpenSSL for ARM
<http://how-to-build-for-arm.wikispaces.com/openssl?responseToken=08950c74d64853fbf5d76acb5a751878c>

But the compiler specified here is GCC.

My queries for OpenSSL-FIPS support are the following

1.    Is there a library available which can used in the mentioned platform
?

2.    Is it possible to port OpenSSL to ARM Cortex M4 platform with an
RTOS?. To be more specific is it possible to port it to STM32F407 with
CMSIS RTX ?

3.    If it is possible, where should I start and how much complex is it?.

4.    If I compile the OpenSSL library in GCC compiler and use it in a armc
compiled application will it work ? (I have a feeling that it won't)

5.    Which other SSL libraries can I use with the embedded software ?

Regards

Jinu