[openssl-users] Disable a cipher suite in openssl.cnf?

Johann v. Preußen jvp at forthepolls.org
Sat Sep 24 21:52:13 UTC 2016

Mr. Neugroschl's quest for a simple solution does bring up -- in my
user-oriented opinion -- a very good follow-on question: "/Why cannot a config
file be utilized by openssl to simply give access based on an allow/deny
mechanism that would give users system-wide control in a single place?"./

the benefits of such an implementation are clearly manifold from the admin side.
as a vulnerability arises, a weakness is revealed, a specific requirement is
desired; a user can close out or enable any use of that avenue in a heartbeat
... permanently (/i.e./, persisting through updates), temporarily until a patch
can be applied or a new release installed, or when requirements change. this
would also greatly ease using openssl (think "views" in bind: although openssl's
approach does not have to be as "unified" as bind's single config file) so that
openssl could be tailored to different access methods such as intranet, tunnels,
VPN's, et cetera.

from the dev side i would think this approach would also have benefits worth
exploring. FIPS immediately comes to mind. its hard-coded approach and
protracted separate compliance certification could be distilled down to checking
a hash (or some such security check) on a special over-riding config file when
FIPS-enabled is encountered. this would also speed access to standards creators
to modify the config file on the fly instead of interludes that can consume
years despite industry-wide documentation/recognition that something must be
done. then, openssl merely needs to be updated with the new hash or whatever.

in fact, openssl could really foster transparency within the whole auth/encrypt
process by creating its own allow/deny master listing that a user could modify
at will without the need to be conversant at any type of coding. providing a
more inclusive and user-friendly process also could, perhaps, forestall app's
from "going-it-alone" or using other vendors such as experienced with openssh
and lua.

i DO realize that such a "modular" approach instead of "all-or-nothing" is not a
simple matter from the dev side, but permitting the user an ability to go /a la
carte/ according to specific needs seems highly attractive. it could also enable
user migration scheduling (think sha1 to sha2, for instance) to keep pace with
internal systems integration, configuration, and updating.

there are also matters like the 25519 family which "enjoyed" a decade in virtual
limbo until recently emerging as the "cats-meow" of speed and security (1.
non-NSA/-NIST; 2. https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipsecme-safecurves-03;
and 3. https://ed25519.cr.yp.to). perhaps if more people saw that it was
available via openssl (assuming openssl made it so) and did earlier
experimenting with it the hiatus could have been foreshortened and everyone
would have benefited. i know openssl cannot include /everything/, but this
particular process is Daniel J. Bernstein
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_J._Bernstein> after all and its "pluses"
well-documented and long-known.

BUDGETING: i cannot image the large-donor base NOT being enthusiastic re this
approach. i also certainly see where openssl could attract new and more
one-time/smaller donors to such a "crowd funding" project that exhibits a very
real and visible translation of time to money.

Thank you,

Johann v. Preußen