[openssl-users] new FIPS module

Troy Smoke zoddoz+openssl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:40:55 UTC 2016

I am in the position of evaluating products that have (or claim to have)
implemented the OpenSSL FIPS module.

I would like to be able to be able to run a command or run the FIPS
self-test on command, for the purpose of verifying if OpenSSL is operating
in FIPS mode.

This may not be important for most users, but I would consider it of vital
importance from a testing perspective. This is also assuming that such a
command/procedure would be allowed under the FIPS certification.

Thanks, zoddoz

>As always, if you don't care about FIPS 140 then count yourself lucky and
move >on.

>Work on the new FIPS module has so far taken a backseat to higher priority
>topics like the 1.1 release and security vulnerabilities, but we should
start to >make some progress soon. I've put together a rough wiki page
outlining some >goals for the new FIPS module:

>Caution-https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/FIPS_module_3.0
>
>Within the very tight constraints of schedule, resources, and what is
permitted >by FIPS 140, we want this FIPS module to be as widely useful as
possible.