[openssl-users] calloc vs kssl_calloc

Jakob Bohm jb-openssl at wisemo.com
Fri Sep 30 14:14:23 UTC 2016

On 30/09/2016 15:29, Salz, Rich wrote:
>> Is there something more I should do on this issue?  I recall the OpenSSL terms of use strongly discouraged people from the US from helping, due to US export restrictions.
> That's kinda outdated.
However there are very many OpenSSL users (myself included)
who rely on the legal status of OpenSSL/SSLeay as having no
US origin parts.  If this has changed, it needs a big red
banner at the top of the www.openssl.org, every affected
source file with the original EAY copyright boilerplate or
its OpenSSL clone etc.

For example, this affects how the use of OpenSSL should be
declared on various customs forms with respect to US export
restrictions and embargoes.

It is also a legal reason to avoid the BoringSSL US clone
and to some extent the LibreSSL Canadian clone.

Enjoy

Jakob