[openssl-users] Query regarding upgrading TLS compatibility

Benjamin Kaduk bkaduk at akamai.com
Mon Apr 3 21:58:22 UTC 2017

On 04/03/2017 04:42 AM, Hegde, Harsha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an query regarding TLS compatibility used in my application.
> Currently we are using TLS1.2 to connect to a third party sever. Is
> there any way to always use the highest TLS available version without
> modifying or recompiling the application code whenever there is any
> new version of TLS released.

The closest you can come is to use TLS_method() (or the client- or
server-specific version of it), which will prefer the highest version
supported by the library, but also be able to use older versions if
needed in order to interoperate with the peer.  It's not entirely clear
whether your question was about restricting to specifically the highest
version, to the exclusion of older versions.

-Ben