[openssl-users] Integrating New Cipher Suite

Dr. Stephen Henson steve at openssl.org
Mon Apr 10 13:56:40 UTC 2017

On Sat, Apr 08, 2017, Schmicker, Robert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm attempting to integrate a customized cipher suite for TLS 1.2,
> however no matter what I try I always seem to end up with this error
> (client side):
>
> SSL routines:ssl_cipher_list_to_bytes:no ciphers
> available:ssl/statem/statem_clnt.c:3567
>
> Can anyone give some further explanation on this?
>
> Here's some snippets from the client and server setup.
>
> client:

That sounds like the cipher isn't visible.

I'd suggest trying s_client/s_server first.

Which version of OpenSSL are you using?

Does your new cipher appear in "openssl ciphers"? If so does the output look
sensible? Does it appear with the -s option too?

Is the cipher visible using "openssl list -cipher-algorithms" (OpenSSL 1.1.0)
or "openssl list-cipher-algorithms" (OpenSSL 1.0.2).

Is your new cipher usable via the command line utilities like "enc"? Does it
seems to be behaving as expected?

Steve.