[openssl-users] EVP Functions

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Wed Apr 12 15:13:23 UTC 2017

In CBC mode, the previous block's ciphertext is the IV for the current block. To skip ahead to block N, you need to use block N-1's ciphertext as the IV. If my understanding is correct (I haven't actually tried implementing this), that's all you should need.

Doing this using OpenSSL's EVP API is left as an exercise for the reader.

If you're doing anything non-trivial with cryptography, and not using a very high-level interface above a robust implementation, you need to understand the subject. Anything less is the royal road to compromising the security of your system. There are some decent Wikipedia articles (the one on "Block cipher modes of operation" would have answered this question), but really if you're going to be working at this level you should start with a general introduction such as /Applied Cryptography/.

Even then, cryptography is a complex professional specialization, even if you're not working in cryptographic research or cryptanalysis. It's an area where a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing. I say this as someone who doesn't know enough about the subject to develop cryptographic protocols (much less primitives), despite having studied it for many years.

Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus