[openssl-users] How to get a bye or word from BIGNUM in OpenSSL 1.1?

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 02:21:08 UTC 2017

I'm trying to extract the low-order byte or word from a BIGNUM in
OpenSSL 1.1. We were told to use BN_bn2binpad, but its not clear to me
how to specify the location we want to extract.

For example:

    const char v[] = "ffeeddccbbaa99887766554433221100";
    BIGNUM n = BN_new();

    if (BN_hex2bn(&n, v))
    {
        fprintf(stderr, "failed to parse BIGNUM\n");
        exit (1);
    }

I don't see how to get the low-order word 33221100, or the second to
last byte 11.

Here' the documentation but I don't see how to do it:
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.0/crypto/BN_bn2binpad.html. Other
libraries, like Java, Botan and Crypto++ allow us to specify a potion
to extract from in cases like these.

How do we extract bytes or words from a BIGNUM?

Thanks in advance.