[openssl-users] Cant get openssl x509 to work as documented

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Aug 22 21:23:09 UTC 2017

Viktor,

Thank you for this in-depth explanation.

I have talked to a number of large potential customers where certs are
important but they are highly constrained.  This includes the auto
sector with ECUs that are really pressed to the wall (like on the engine
block and already running at 130C!)

A PEM ECDSA private key file (not passworded) is 241 bytes.  The DER
equivalent is 121 bytes.  Even if we follow the ANIMA model that allows
both the iDevID and lDevID certs to use the same key (shudder), a 120
bytes of secure store savings is a big issue. Otherwise we double this
storage cost.   Ed25519 should be smaller, as the public key is 32
bytes, not the 64 of P256.  But I don't like that they used SHA512 for
Ed25519 rather than SPAKE128 (they used SPAKE256 for Ed488).

And then there is the cert store in regular storage, plus whatever
support (like chains) needed.  As I think more of this, 802.1AR-2009
only expects to device to have its iDevID cert, not also the cert chain
to the root.  It never has to verify its cert, the manufacturer stuffed
it in at built time into read only memory with an expiry date of
forever.  It is the lDevID part that ANIMA is building into a complex
bootstrap process that I don't totally agree with.  And NETCONF is doing
their flavor of it.  Sigh.

The IETF CORE wg is looking at this too.

I have to munch on this problem a lot more.

Bob