[openssl-users] Cant get openssl x509 to work as documented

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Aug 27 05:02:20 UTC 2017

Jakob,

You make a good point.  In fact, after some reflection, there is
probably no reason for the device to store more than the 96 bytes of
keyvalue in secure store.  If some format is needed to use the key, that
can be done at that time.  This is for the case where the device
supports only one algorithm.

I know that the current practice is crypto agility, but IoT,
particularly automotive IoT, will select and live with one for a
generation of product.  When the next best thing is selected, then that
will be used, but not retrofitted.  I hope that soon, I will be able to
push Ed25519; I am concerned about the computational cost, though (still
not clear why SHA512 and not SHAKE128).  Meanwhile P256 is what is fielded.

Bob