[openssl-users] Not updating index.txt

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Aug 29 21:27:58 UTC 2017

I started out making certs from csrs with:

openssl ca -config $dir/openssl-intermediate.cnf -extensions usr_cert
-days 375 -notext -md sha256 \
       -in $dir/csr/$clientemail.csr.$format -out
$dir/certs/$clientemail.cert.$format

And that worked well enough, but I found some limitations (DER) with it
and switched to:

    openssl x509 -req -days 375 -extfile $dir/openssl-intermediate.cnf\
        -extensions usr_cert -sha256\
        -set_serial 0x$(openssl rand -hex $sn)\
        -inform $format -in $dir/csr/$clientemail.csr.$format\
        -outform $format -out $dir/certs/$clientemail.cert.$format\
        -CAkeyform $format -CAkey $dir/private/intermediate.key.$format\
        -CAform $format -CA $dir/certs/intermediate.cert.$format

I just noticed that this format does not update the index.txt file.
Why?  What do I need to add so it does?

Bob