[openssl-users] ECC ciphers in OpenSSL and Citricom Patent/License terms

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Wed Dec 6 13:51:52 UTC 2017

This probably should just have gone to openssl-users. Please don't copy every question to openssl-dev.

Consult a lawyer. Opinions on this topic differ wildly, it has a long and vexed history, and legal advice from random people on the Internet isn't worth what you pay for it.

Certicom was purchased by Blackberry years ago; they are the current holder of the ECC patents obtained by Certicom, to the best of my knowledge.

--
Michael Wojcik
Distinguished Engineer, Micro Focus