[openssl-users] Disable SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ / WRITE ?

pratyush parimal pratyush.parimal at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 17:54:59 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I see a lot of questions and answers about how to
handle SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ / WRITE during SSL_read/write, and I understand
that the error is returned when the SSL library needs to do a handshake in
the middle of read/write operation, so we need to repeat the call when the
appropriate event happens.

But what I don't understand is, why does the library need to re-do the
handshake? If I set up my program so go through the SSL_connect/accept
calls properly (and handle SSL_ERROR_WANT_READ/WRITE in there properly) and
do the handshake successfully in the beginning itself, then why does the
library need to do a handshake again?

If I'm happy with my initial handshake, is there a way to disable
subsequent handshaking for that socket?

Thanks,
Pratyush.