[openssl-users] Testing ports through firewall

warron.french warron.french at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 13:36:26 UTC 2017

Hello Community, and Merry Christmas/Happy Seasons Greetings,
   anyway, I need some help with understanding an openssl feature -
*s_server*.

I executed the following command:  openssl s_server -accept 21937 -www &
And immediately got the following output:
[1] 3286
[sysadm at wfrench-rhel6c-cit ~]$ Error opening server certificate private key
file server.pem
140679739017032:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or
directory:bss_file.c:398:fopen('server.pem','r')
140679739017032:error:20074002:BIO routines:FILE_CTRL:system
lib:bss_file.c:400:
unable to load server certificate private key file

In order to test ports that are not encrypted with SSL/TLS do I still have
to generate a certificate and private key file (each)?

I would like to test ports from one machine using openssl s_client against
a remote machine on an opposing network, running a "listener", using
openssl s_server.

Perhaps I am way off?  I am not allowed to use openssl for this sort of
thing?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated because I want to expand my
understanding of the openssl suite of commands and its offerings.

Have a nice day,