[openssl-users] How to respond to TLS heartbeat in openssl

Keshava Krishna Bhat K keshavkrishna88 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 06:32:48 UTC 2017

Ok, I got to know that
 openssl version -a gives out the flags used while building openssl.
so the output of this was

OpenSSL 1.0.2g  1 Mar 2016
built on: reproducible build, date unspecified
platform: debian-amd64
compiler: cc -I. -I.. -I../include  -fPIC -DOPENSSL_PIC -DOPENSSL_THREADS
-D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -m64 -DL_ENDIAN -g -O2
-fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wdate-time
-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -Wa,--noexecstack
-Wall -DMD32_REG_T=int -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT
-DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT5 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM
-DSHA512_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DAES_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DBSAES_ASM -DWHIRLPOOL_ASM
-DGHASH_ASM -DECP_NISTZ256_ASM
OPENSSLDIR: "/usr/lib/ssl"

Since the putput above does not have OPENSSL_NO_HEARTBEATS, I assume
heartbeats are not disabled in the build.
So I am back to square one :( -> how do I make the server respond to a TLS
heartbeat request ? Do I have to read the packet and write it back ?

But code in the following file and method suggests this would done
automatically (but again I have a layman's knowledge on C, I could be wrong)
t1_lib.c tls1_process_heartbeat

Regards,
Keshava.