[openssl-users] Padding for RSA signatures

Matt Caswell matt at openssl.org
Fri Dec 29 16:07:05 UTC 2017

Some comments inserted below.

Matt

On 29/12/17 15:20, Gelareh Taban wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any help would be *much* appreciated. I am playing around with RSA
> signatures with different padding options and I have some questions.
>
> I am trying to define different padding options and so am defining and
> using a EVP_PKEY_CTX . However I am not sure if this padding is getting
> used in the signature since  my Verify outputs OK regardless of which
> option my Sign uses. Which leads to:
>
> 1 - Do I need to use a EVP_PKEY_CTX with the same options when doing
> verify? If so, I assume I can't reuse the same PKey_Ctx and I have to
> define another one. Right now even when I don't use any EVP_PKEY_CTX in
> Verify, I still verify OK, which makes me question if the padding option
> has been set.

It hasn't. The call to EVP_DigestSignInit() expects an EVP_PKEY_CTX **.
This is because that function creates its *own* EVP_PKEY_CTX * and
stores it in the location you provide (if you give one). In your code
the EVP_PKEY_CTX you are creating is being overwritten by the one
created by EVP_DigestSignInit(). From the documentation:

  EVP_DigestSignInit() sets up signing context ctx to use digest type
  from ENGINE impl and private key pkey. ctx must be created with
  EVP_MD_CTX_new() before calling this function. If pctx is not NULL the
  EVP_PKEY_CTX of the signing operation will be written to *pctx: this
  can be used to set alternative signing options.

Try removing the creation of your own EVP_PKEY_CTX *, and moving the
EVP_PKEY_CTX_set_rsa_padding() call to after EVP_DigestSignInit().

> 2 - Is there a way to figure out what padding/hashing/etc option was
> used for the Sign/verify operation? This way I can be sure what
> algorithm or standard is being used.
>
> 3 - Do I need to set the hash function I am using in both EVP_PKEY_CTX
> as well as EVP_MD_CTX ? Or the latter is what defines this for the
> signing option?

You only need to specify the hash function in
EVP_DigestSignInit()/EVP_DigestVerifyInit().

To answer your question in the code, there is no need to call
EVP_PKEY_CTX_set_signature_md() directly in this scenario. It is called
for you by EVP_DigestSignInit()/EVP_DigestVerifyInit().

> 4 - In general, is there a way of making the Signature/Encryptions in
> OpenSSL be deterministic for debugging/testing purposes? >
> 5 - I noticed that there are two ways of determining the signature size:
> (a) by calling EVP_PKEY_size(rsaKeypair) as I am doing below, as well as
> (b) calling EVP_DigestSignFinal(md_ctx, nil, &sig_len) . Is one better
> than the other?

The former gives you a maximum bound on the size of the signature before
the signature is created. The latter gives you the *actual* size of the
signature that is generated (which could be smaller).