[openssl-users] Why do we try out all possible combinations of top bits in OpenSSL timing attack?

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Mon Feb 6 13:30:39 UTC 2017

[Snipped HTML content, since Outlook can't quote it properly and it was garbled anyway.]

openssl-users doesn't really seem like the right place to discuss this (the sci.crypt newsgroup or a relevant area of the sprawling StackOverflow empire would be better), but it's a low-traffic list, so what the heck.

The OP had three questions regarding the second paragraph ("Initially, our guess g of q...") of section 3 of the classic Brumley & Boneh paper "Remote Timing Attacks are Practical". Note this paper is from 2003 and refers to OpenSSL 0.9.7. Timing attacks and timing-attack defenses have moved on considerably since then, as have other side-channel attacks. While this paper is a good introduction to the theory and general techniques, it's not a recipe for attacking modern TLS implementations.

The questions and my responses:

Q: Does the initial guess of g start from an arbitrary range?