[openssl-users] Fwd: PSK generation for TLS 1.3

Neetish Pathak npathak2 at ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 7 19:38:06 UTC 2017

I have a query regarding the TLS 1.3 handshake message exchange. Please
provide your comments.

With TLS 1.3, I see that Application Data Protocol message is sent from the
server side and client side (using wireshark) during the handshake. I am
only performing handshake and not doing any read write operations. I see
that servers and clients send application data protocol when doing just
SSL_connect and SSL_accept .

I also know that all the messages post server hello are encrypted in TLS
1.3. So, I am not sure what data gets exchanged
When checking logs for TLS 1.2, I do not see any exchange of Application
Data Protocol which is as expected.

Basically, connection sequence for TLS 1.2 is

*Client Hello*
*Server Hello, Certificate, Server Key Exchange, Certificate Request,
Server Hello Done*
*Certificate, Client Key Exchange, Certificate Verify, Change Cipher Spec,
Encrypted Handshake Message (Finished)*
*Change Cipher Spec, Encrypted Handshake Message (Finished)*

but for TLS 1.3, it is
The same is the sequence of messages exchanged when doing a connection
using resumption. I am not sure what application data gets exchanged when
doing TLS 1.3 when I am not doing any read/writes.
>From RFC, I can see that Application Data can be optionally sent at the end
of server Hello but I am not sure what data it is. How can I decrypt the
exchanged data ?
*Client Hello*
*Server Hello, Application Data Protocol from Server*
*Application Data Protocol from Client*
*Application Data Protocol from Server*
*Application Data Protocol from Client*

Also, I observe that resumption connection time for TLS 1.3 using PSK  is
more than resumption time for TLS 1.2 (by 700-800 microseconds). I am
suspecting the exchange of application data and its processing etc
(encryption) is causing the added delay. Could someone please provide any
explanation or point me in the right direction. It is not very clear to me
right now even after seeing the RFC

Thanks