[openssl-users] shouldn't fipslink.pl include the fipscanister.lib in the link line?

Dr. Stephen Henson steve at openssl.org
Thu Jul 13 19:34:52 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017, Sam Roberts wrote:

> I'm having trouble linking on Windows with fipslink.pl, lots of FIPS_
> symbols are unresolved.
>
> AFAICT, they are defined by the canister, and fipslink.pl is supposed
> to know this, and add them to the link libraries by itself, but it
> doesn't seem to do this.
>
> Looking at the linux fipsld, it does appear to have code to find and
> add fipscanister.o to the link line.
>
> Any idea what I am doing wrong, or not understanding about fipslink.pl?

First if you want to link to the OpenSSL DLLs then you don't need fipslink.pl
at all: just link to them as you would any other application.

If you do want to link against the static libraries then the easiest way to do
that is to examine the contents of nt.mak, look for FIPSLINK and adapt the
rule to your needs.

Steve.