[openssl-users] shouldn't fipslink.pl include the fipscanister.lib in the link line?

Sam Roberts vieuxtech at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 22:56:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Dr. Stephen Henson <steve at openssl.org> wrote:
> Try linking with fipscanister.lib too: that's where those symbols are located.

OK, I'd tried that before with no luck, but I tried harder. I found
that if my lib line has the fips_premain.obj, then the
fipscanister.lib, then the rest of the program's obj files and libs in
exactly that order, the symbols are resolved.

That's progress!

Now I'm hitting the dreaded MSVCRT conflicts with use of other libs problem.

Most of the application is compiled with /MT, but openssl-fips-2.0.16
is using /MD, could this be an issue? Can I/should I convince
ms\do_fips to build against the multi-threaded runtime?

It may also be other obj files causing the issue, the MSVC message is
not so helpful, I'm continuing to look.

I used /nodedefaultlib:msvcrt (even though its supposed to not be
recommended) and I got a link of openssl-cli, though with lots of
"LNK4049 locally defined symbol _exit imported", which sounds like its
another symbol of /MT and /MD mismatch.

I also almost got a link of node, but it died with
fipscanister.lib(cryptolib.obj): error LNK2001: unresolved symbol
__imp_wcsstr, and __imp___stdio_common_vsscanf, both of which sound
suspiciously like a problem with the runtime compilation flags to me.

Cheers,
Sam