[openssl-users] session resumption tls1.2/tls1.3

Neetish Pathak npathak2 at ncsu.edu
Fri Jul 21 18:01:28 UTC 2017

Thanks everyone for clarification on previous queries

1) I had a general query regarding the handshake resumptions.
Since during the session resumption handshake in either TLS 1.2 or TLS 1.3
the key exchange does not take place, the client side and the server side
both resume based on a previously set up session, so the master key is not
going to change . Isn't the data sent post resumption handshake vulnerable
to replay attacks ? why do we say that the data is vulnerable to replay
only with enable-early data in tls 1.3. I think I am confused on some
basics here.

I am saying this because if I save the session in a file, the master key
gets fixed. I see that during the resumption handshake too, the client
hello message has a client_random value which as per my understanding is
required for generating the master secret. But the master key is always
read from the previous session info saved in the file, hence I am a little
confused will the master secret change after every resumption connection.

2) If master secret doesn't change for the resumed connection, shouldn't it
change on each handshake finish (full or resumption handshake) for more
secure communication?
I think that happens only on full-handshake in ephemeral type ciphers (e.g.
ECDHE) but not in RSA type. Am I correct ?

Thanks
BR,
Neetish