[openssl-users] Difference between libssl.a in static openssl build versus libssl.a in dynamic openssl build ???

Joe Flowers joe.flowers at nofreewill.com
Mon Jul 24 03:26:18 UTC 2017

Hi Everyone,

1.
I am trying to upgrade some libraries of an older version of openssl
(~0.9.7) with the libraries of a less old version of openssl (1.0.0e).

2.
When I perform a dynamic openssl build with the following commands, I get
(among other files) a libssl.a file.

cd /joe/openssl-1.0.1e/dynamic/64bit/openssl-1.0.1e
make clean
setarch x86_64 ./config -m64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC shared no-zlib
make

3.
When I perform a static openssl build with the following commands, I get
(among other files) another libssl.a file.

cd /joe/openssl-1.0.1e/static/64bit/openssl-1.0.1e
./config -D_GNU_SOURCE
make clean
make

4.
I am trying to determine which one of these two newer libssl.a files I
should use to replace the older ~0.9.7 libssl.a file.

Any ideas how to do this?

I have been trying to use the "readelf " and "file" commands on these 3
different libssl.a files, but I am not seeing a pattern in the files which
allows me to determine which one should be used.

5.
I am compiling on a SLES11 SP1 64-bit machine.

Thanks!!!

Joe