[openssl-users] Security of DH in TLS

Paul Yang paulyang.inf at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 07:19:31 UTC 2017

The ‘key size’ concept is usually referred to the length of modulus. (In public key crypto area)

For DH and ECDH, it (the size) ’s generated and defined in the ‘parameters’, as you pasted. Parameters are not exactly the final ‘keys’, they are the ‘materials’ to produce keys (both private ones and public ones), either for DH or ECDH. For DH, you generate parameters based on a given length of prime, and this length is what you called ‘key size’ (e.g. 2048), for ECC the parameters are generated based on named curves, such as prime192v1/prime239v1..., in this case, the ‘key size’ is 192/239bit. In both case, the prime numbers are used as modulus being used while doing DH or EC crypto calculations...

If you get either a DH or EC key, you could use the following command of OpenSSL to check the ‘key size’:

openssl pkey -in xyz.key -noout -text

check the Private-Key: (xxxx bit) in the output.