[openssl-users] (no subject)

Neetish Pathak npathak2 at ncsu.edu
Tue Jun 27 00:05:56 UTC 2017

Hi ,

1) I am working with a client and server program and want to use
ECDHE-ECDSA type ciphers.
I see that default Elliptic curve group supported is X25519. (when I check
client  and server logs on wireshark)
I wish to generate a self-signed certificate for X25519 curve. But I am
unable to do that the way I do for other curves like secp256r1, secp521r1
etc.

I generate a private key for secp521r1 using ecparam command and  then I
generate the self-signed certificate.

openssl ecparam -name secp521r1 -genkey -param_enc named_curve -out
server_key.pem

openssl req -new -x509 -key server_key.pem -out server_cert.pem -days 730

On man page for X25519,

I found the command to generate private key

openssl genpkey -algorithm X25519 -out xkey.pem

But as I try to generate a self signed certificate, I am getting the
following error

EVP_PKEY_sign_init:operation not supported for this keytype

Could you please clarify where am I going wrong. Also, why is X25519 not
mentioned

in ec curve list

using openssl ecparam -list_curves

Any references to clarify my understanding will be appreciated.

2) Also, can you direct me towards what hack is needed in Openssl to
support pre-generated PSK in TLS 1.3 and false start in TLS 1.2 (for my
study purpose).

Are you planning to integrate false start in OpenSSL any time. Thanks

Thanks

Best Regards,
Neetish